The No. 1 ranked and defending National Champion Florida Gators improved to 12-1 on the young season after sweeping the Stony Brook Seawolves this past weekend. The Gators continue to show that they’re one of the most well-rounded teams in the country three weeks into their title defense. Take a seat as Armchair breaks down Florida’s sweep of Stony Brook:
- FLA 12, SB 5
- Junior ace Brady Singer threw 7 innings of work, surrendering 5 runs, 3 earned, while adding 5 K’s to improve to 3-0 on the season.
- JUCO transfer Wil Dalton blasted 3 homers and drove in 6 runs out of the leadoff spot as the outfielder continues to impress in his start to his Florida career.
- 3rd basemen Jonathan India is listed as day-to-day after suffering a hamstring injury.
Ladies and Gentlemen…the Wil Dalton show!
- FLA 8, SB 0
- Junior Jackson Kowar and freshmen Jordan Butler and Hunter McMullen combine for shutout.
- Infielder Blake Reese hit his first career home run as the junior continues to prove his worth as one of the Gators top hitters.
- Junior outfielder Nelson Maldonado added another long-ball, his first of the year.
- 7 different batters notched an RBI in the victory.
Today's #GatorsWin included RBI from seven different players!
- FLA 3, SB 1
- Sophomore Tyler Dyson threw 7 innings of work, giving up 1 run on 5 hits, while adding 7 K’s to improve to 2-1 on the year.
- Wil Dalton helped drive in two runs, including himself, after a throwing error from the Seawolves third basemen where Dalton rounded all the bases.
- Gators debuted pinstripes uniforms.
Player of The Week
OF Wil Dalton
As if there was any doubt. At the collegiate level, a 3-homerun game is special, and something that doesn’t happen very often. Dalton did it this past Friday night in impressive fashion, getting a quick start with a leadoff home run. Even more impressive, all three of Dalton’s homers were bombs. Dalton is looking like a key addition to the Gators title defense. The JUCO transfer continues to swing a hot bat, batting .373 with 4 homers and a team-leading 15 RBI’s on the year. Dalton is also a heads-up baserunner who is always looking to take the extra base.
Pitcher of The Week
RHP Tyler Dyson
Dyson threw a career-high 7 innings on Sunday to pick up his second win on the season. With a 2-1 record, Dyson is also sporting an ERA of 1.42. Dyson, who came on late last season, particularly in the national championship clinching performance in the second game of the College World Series, has picked up the role of the Gators third starter and continues to shine. With the 1-2 punch of Singer and Kowar, Dyson finishes out one of the top weekend rotations in the country.
Up next for the Gators is a mid-week, home-away series with the University of Central Florida. Following that, the University of Rhode Island heads to Gainesville, as the Gators look to continue their hot start to their title defense.