The Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts clashed on Saturday night for the 3rd game of the preseason for both teams. The 3rd game of the preseason usually means the starters are out in full force for a decent chunk of the game.
Running back, Knile Davis, was the highlight of the first quarter, taking two runs for first downs and catching a screen pass for another first down. By the Steelers’ second drive, the starting offense was a bit more “in sync” and Big Ben completed passes to Brown, Bryant, and Eli Rogers. By the end of the drive, the Steelers kicked a field goal, trailed 7-3, and Ben and Brown were done for the night.
Early in the 2nd quarter, linebacker, Ryan Shazier, picked off Colts QB, Scott Tolzien, but the INT resulted in an empty drive and a punt back to the Colts. Steelers QB, Landry Jones, failed to capitalize on his time with the ball and resulted in many empty possessions throughout the quarter. The Colts would pull away to a 13-3 lead by the two-minute warning and Pittsburgh would finally get down the field to kick a field goal and trim the lead to seven points by halftime.
The Colts received the ball to start the second half. 2017 draft pick, Cameron Sutton, made his NFL debut tonight by helping to force a Colts punt early in the 3rd to give Pittsburgh the ball once again. Jones and company would drive down the field and finally score a touchdown with an impressive Xavier Grimble reception. Chris Boswell would miss the extra point, however, which allowed Indianapolis to keep a 13-12 lead.
By the end of the quarter, Landry Jones slowly found his footing, marching Pittsburgh down the field, allowing Boswell to redeem himself and kick a field goal to give the Steelers a 15-13 lead.
By the start of the fourth quarter, Pittsburgh was trying to keep their lead intact with many of the 2nd and 3rd string players now in the game. However, the Colts would answer back with a touchdown of their own, and with an Adam Vinatieri missed PAT, the Colts now led by 19-15.
With just about 5 minutes left in the game, Jones was taking the Steelers down the field once again, but threw a costly red-zone interception which gave the ball right back to the Colts.
Both teams were given a few more possessions as the game wound down, but never scored again and as such, Indianapolis handed Pittsburgh their first preseason loss.
- The “regulars” on offense looked to be primed and ready for Week 1 in Cleveland.
- Specifically, receiver Martavis Bryant continues to find his rhythm after missing all of last year.
- Knile Davis very well may have cemented his place on the 53-man roster tonight with his play out of the backfield and kick return ability.
- Having cornerback, Cam Sutton, finally appear tonight after dealing with injuries throughout camp is a huge positive. The Steelers have invested many draft picks into the secondary and may be starting to see a return on their investment.
- All in all, this game really had a “preseason feel” to it with many empty drives, punts, and incomplete plays.
- The Steelers will travel to Carolina to take on the Panthers in their final preseason game next Thursday.