When Les Miles took over the Kansas job several months ago, many were skeptical of the hire because they thought that he wouldn’t be able to recruit with the same type of success that he had while at LSU.
That was never going to be an option at Kansas or anywhere Miles took a head coaching job due to LSU’s history, tradition, and status in the SEC. However, just seven months into the job, Miles has KU recruiting on a level like they have never seen.
In the past 48 hours, Miles and staff have secured commitments from seven high school prospects throughout the country. The newest additions (according to Rivals) are as follows:
- 3-star ATH Malik Johnson (held offers from KSU, Colorado, and others)
- 3-star DE Caleb Taylor (held offers from ISU, Memphis, SMU, and others)
- 3-star DT Kenean Caldwell (held offers from Oregon, Ole Miss, Miss St., and others)
- 3-star OL Garrett Jones (no other Power 5 offers)
- 3-star DB JaCobee Bryant (held offers from Ole Miss, Tennessee, Virginia, and others)
- 2-star OL Tommy Brandt (no other Power 5 offers)
- 2-star OT Nicholas Martinez (held offers from Arizona State and Idaho State)
With these new additions, Rivals ranks the Kansas recruiting class at SECOND in the Big 12 right now only behind Oklahoma. Nationally, the class ranks 19th (as of Sunday morning June 23).
Granted, it’s only June, but Miles is putting together the type of class that hasn’t been seen at Kansas, maybe ever. They have 18 verbal commitments and still have six months to go until the early signing period begins in December.
While this is an exciting time to be a Kansas football fan, it must be stressed again that these are just verbal commitments. No players have signed and nothing is set in stone.
This is where Miles and his staff must differentiate themselves from the previous regime who also saw some recruiting success in the summer months but failed to secure commitments through the early signing period.
If this new staff can retain these commitments and turn them into signatures in December, then Kansas may soon have the talent able to compete with their Big 12 foes. As Miles said…here come the Jayhawks.
Gambling this season? Want to try it just to see what it feels like? Go to MyBookie.ag and use promo code ARMCHAIR25 at checkout. They will match your deposit dollar for dollar. Putting in $100? You’ll now have $200.