Barstool vs ESPN

HOME FORUMS General Sports Barstool vs ESPN

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dylan Schnabel 3 months ago.

• Author

Joseph Fazio
    Participant

I think we all can agree that Barstool Van Talk was never gonna work on ESPN

Marc Weems

I think you’re right I think it didn’t have a chance all along but also ESPN knew what they were getting into.

Lyle Bellamy
    Participant

The future of sports media was all over the news today. ( The Athletic made a stir with the NY Times article as well.) But this seems to have taken hold more.
    Huge potential for ESPN, but as I mentioned, I’m not sure how ESPN thought Barstool would temper themselves especially for a 1 am timeslot. Barstool got its name by doing its own thing, and if ESPN thought they’d change then they are out of their minds

Lyle Bellamy
    Participant

(Which it seems ESPN kind of is considering how out of touch they seem to be with how out of touch they are with today’s sports fans. Way too much politics in a way in my opinion at least.)

Lyle Bellamy
    Participant

Tweet to summarize ESPN:

Marc Weems

On the other side, I don’t think the Athletic is doing anything wrong. The Athletic just had an idea that works, make the newspaper digital, for sports, before anyone else. The New York Times exaggerated that a bit.

Dylan Schnabel
    Participant

With the Atlantic, I think there was a fair bit of hyperbole as well. They’ll never replace the Grand Forks Herald for local hockey coverage or the Fargo Forum for local football coverage. The market is too small for a sports-only newspaper that doesn’t deliver physical papers.

Say what you want about paper being a dying format, but it’ll be a long time before Dennys starts handing out iPads as you walk in the door.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.