The No.1 Florida Gators (34-8, 14-4) picked up another Top-10 series win, taking 2 out of 3 on the road from the No. 9 Kentucky Wildcats (26-14, 8-10). The Gators looked sharp on the road in a tough environment in Lexington to pick up 2 more conference wins to continue their hot start. Armchair breaks down all that happened when the Gators faced off against the Wildcats.
- FLA 11, UK 2
- Junior ace Brady Singer continues to look sharp for the Gators, tossing 7 innings while giving up just 3 hits and 2 runs, along with 10 strikeouts to earn his 8th victory of the year
- Wil Dalton hit a towering 3-run homerun to cap off a 6-run 3rd inning for the Gators
- Jonathan India’s 24-game hitting-streak came to a close
#Gators get the first one in a Top 10 SEC showdown in Lexington
- FLA 9, UK 4
- Junior Jackson Kowar got the job done on the mound to pick up his 7th win of the season, working 7 shutout innings
- Wil Dalton racked up 6 RBI’s in the game, featuring another 3-run homerun and a bases clearing triple
- FLA 2, UK 3
- Florida’s Tyler Dyson didn’t have his sharpest stuff, only working 2 innings while allowing 3 runs
- Kentucky’s Justin Lewis was on his A-game, tossing 8 innings of work, while giving up one run on just one hit, the run scoring on an error
- For the Gators, freshman Jack Leftwich looked solid in relief of Dyson, tossing 6 shutout innings
Player of the Week
With 10 RBI last week, Wil Dalton now leads the league with 45 RBI on the season!
Today, Wil was named the @SEC Player of the Week!
OF Wil Dalton
Driving in 9 runs in a conference series showdown is no easy feat, and that is just what Wil Dalton did in Lexington. Dalton’s efforts were enough for him to be named SEC Player of the Week, a weekly award that seems to be honoring Gators every week. Dalton has shown to be a key addition to the Gators lineup, as he now leads the SEC in RBI’s. The Gators will hope Dalton can continue his success as the seasons winds down.
Pitcher of the Week
RHP Brady Singer
After his recent showing against the Wildcats, Singer is now 8-1 this season with an ERA of 2.77. The junior continues to show stuff that a team’s number 1 starter should, and the Gators will continue to rely on Singer for big outings. Singer has been locked in the last month, and the Gators hope he continues his performance going against other top arms in the country.
Up next is a Tuesday matchup against the Mercer Bears at 6 p.m. in Gainesville at Alfred A. McKethan Stadium. Then, the Gators will host the No. 22 Auburn Tigers for a weekend series in Gainesville beginning on Thursday. Another highly contested conference series for the Gators will likely open with a pitching matchup with two top potential picks in the first round of the upcoming MLB Draft, with Singer facing off against Auburn’s Casey Mize.