Week 13 was interesting to say the least as the the playoffs inch nearer. Both conferences have plenty of teams that are fighting for a Wildcard berth and others fighting for their division crown. This part of the season is truly when a team can validate their fans optimism or crush those hopes for glory.
While it is apparent that some teams, such as the Rams, have all but booked their playoff ticket, others hang on by a thread. The teams that are on the brink hold the keys to their destiny. If they fall short, at least they can play spoiler to another team.
Here are our Week 14 NFL Power Rankings:
- New Orleans Saints (10-2) – The Saints have easily been one of the best teams this season in pretty much all aspects of the game. Well they definitely weren’t at their best in Dallas. Drew Brees had an uncharacteristic night and the run game was never established in a forgettable game from New Orleans.
Wow. Wow! WOW! 😱
Every team’s BEST play from a wild Week 13! pic.twitter.com/UXjygw49SS
— NFL (@NFL) December 4, 2018
2. Los Angeles Rams (11-1) – The Rams have clinched the NFC West and now have sole possession of the top seed in the NFC. With a healthy mix of all the talent on offense and defense, it’s hard to imagine a team beating them. However, it is possible as the Saints proved to the league in Week 9.
3. New England Patriots (9-3) – Tom Brady surpassed 1,000 rushing yards in his career and the Patriots are once again primed to land a top seed in the AFC. This team continues to find ways to win even if the defense is unpredictable and Brady’s age is the topic of conversation.
4. Kansas City Chiefs (10-2) – Pat Mahomes didn’t need Kareem Hunt, who was cut after his assault video surfaced, against the Raiders. Mahomes continued his MVP run with another four touchdowns in the team’s Week 13 win.
5. Los Angeles Chargers (9-3) – Philip Rivers needs to be added to the MVP talk after the Chargers comeback victory over the Steelers. It was a primetime, nationally televised game that illustrated how good this Chargers team really is. Rivers was exceptional, going 26-of-36 for 299 yards and two touchdowns.
6. Houston Texans (9-3) – The Texans have won nine straight after an 0-3 start to the 2018 NFL Season. Now this team is one of the clear front-runners to land a top seed in the AFC. Watch out New England and Kansas City.
7. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4-1) – Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers have suffered two close losses the past two weeks to the AFC West. At 7-4-1, Pittsburgh is barely leading the AFC North and has a very difficult schedule to finish the season.
8. Chicago Bears (8-4) – The Bears were so close to winning against the Giants in Week 13, but couldn’t hold on in overtime. It is apparent that this team misses their starting quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.
9. Seattle Seahawks (7-5) – Russell Wilson tossed four touchdowns against the 49ers on 11-of-17 passing and only 185 yards passing. Seattle has quietly put together a good season and may creep into the playoffs as one of the hottest teams.
10. Dallas Cowboys (7-5) – The Cowboys weren’t supposed to win last Thursday, but they pulled out the narrow upset victory over the Saints. Could this mean big things for Dallas as they try to claim the NFC East? Fans will have to wait and see as they host the Eagles this week.
11. Philadelphia Eagles (6-6) – Carson Wentz helped the Eagles to a huge win in Week 13 over the Redskins. But it all comes down to their Week 14 showdown against the Cowboys. Winner of this game could potentially lock down the NFC East.
12. Minnesota Vikings (6-5-1) – Minnesota couldn’t handle the Patriots in Foxborough and dropped an important game that could have put them one step closer to the NFC North crown. They head across the country in Week 14 to Seattle to face one of the league’s most underrated teams.
13. Baltimore Ravens (7-5) – Lamar Jackson’s wins aren’t the prettiest thing, but it’s giving the Ravens hope to claim the AFC North. They’re sitting right behind Pittsburgh and can sneak in and to capture the division crown.
14. Denver Broncos (6-6) – Denver keeps winning off strong efforts by Phillip Lindsay and the defense which allows yards but has limited touchdowns. The crazy thing is that the Broncos have an easy schedule to finish the season and are in line for a Wildcard spot.
15. Carolina Panthers (6-6) – Cam Newton and the Panthers looked great for most of the game, with the exception of Newton’s four interceptions. Now Carolina finds itself in the mix of teams trying to make the NFC Wildcard. They pretty much need to win out to make the playoffs.
16. Indianapolis Colts (6-6) – Andrew Luck wasn’t able to get into the endzone in the Colts Week 13 loss to the Jags. They needed a win in a tight AFC playoff hunt and now they have a tough schedule to finish out to stay in the chase. Two of their remaining games are against division rivals and the other two are against a sporadic Giants team and the surging Cowboys.
— NFL (@NFL) December 4, 2018
17. Miami Dolphins (6-6) – The Dolphins got a much-needed win against division rival Buffalo to remain in the playoff hunt. Ryan Tannehill went 16-of-24 for 137 yards with three touchdowns to one interception. He’ll need to continue to play like this if Miami plans to make a playoff push.
18. Tennessee Titans (6-6) – The Titans were on the brink of an upset but were able to close the game out squeezing by the Jets. Tennessee’s playoff aspirations depend on Marcus Mariota playing good football and establishing the run game.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-7) – Jameis Winston carried the Bucs to huge win over the Panthers with two touchdowns on 20-of-30 passing. He also rushed five times for 48 yards. Surprisingly, Tampa Bay still has some chance to make the playoffs after an up and down year at the quarterback position.
21. Cincinnati Bengals (5-7) – Cincinnati’s season is done for after losing to the Broncos in Week 13. The Bengals are struggling through injuries and could be looking for a new coach soon.
22. Green Bay Packers (4-7-1) – Mike McCarthy is out after suffering another poor loss to the Cardinals at home. Although McCarthy is a big component to how poorly the Packers have performed recently, not all the blame can be placed on him. Especially when the league’s highest paid quarterback sort of gave up in this game.
23. Cleveland Browns (4-7-1) – Regardless of their Week 13 loss to the Texans, the Browns can still finish the season above .500. Their schedule doesn’t look favorable to accomplish that as three of the four teams are at or above .500 and in the playoff hunt.
24. New York Giants (4-8) – The Giants were able to pull off a huge upset against the Bears at home in overtime. Eli Manning and company did just enough to get by. It was Odell Beckham that saved New York after he caught and threw a touchdown pass in this thriller.
25. Atlanta Falcons (4-8) – The Falcons are easily one of the most disappointing teams this season. Matt Ryan only threw for 131 yards and the run game only had 34 yards on 15 carries. That obviously isn’t going to take you anywhere in this league.
2018 Passing Yards Leaders! (Through Week 13)
— NFL (@NFL) December 5, 2018
26. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-8) – If you like defensive games, then you would have loved the Jaguars win over the Colts. Jacksonville only allowed 41 yards rushing and 248 yards through the air.
27. Arizona Cardinals (3-9) – The Cardinals beat the Packers and were one of the causes of Mike McCarthy losing his job. It’s not like Arizona completely dominated the Packers in Week 13, however, it does help the team to get motivated.
28. Detroit Lions (4-8) – The Lions have been another team that has disappointed many this season. It seems like this team should be a lot better than they are but turnovers and poor offensive line play have been very detrimental.
29. Buffalo Bills (4-8) – Josh Allen had a day where you could see flashes of good, but he also had plenty of bad plays in this game. With the loss to Miami, Buffalo is still in contention for a Top 5 pick.
30. San Francisco 49ers (2-10) – Nick Mullens had an excellent game going for 414 yards on 30-of-48 with two touchdowns and an interception. The problem for the 49ers was the turnovers and the lack of a run game.
31. New York Jets (3-9) – Josh McCown almost led the Jets to victory, but a flat 4th quarter halted those hopes. The Jets are in line for another disappointing season where they will land a Top 5 pick.
32. Oakland Raiders (2-10) – The Raiders gave the Chiefs quite the scare although they couldn’t catch them in the end. It is possible that Oakland will land the top pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. With that, they can potentially be loaded heading into Las Vegas in 2020.
Gambling this season? Want to try it just to see what it feels like? Go to MyBookie.ag and use promo code ARMCHAIR25 at checkout. They will match your deposit dollar for dollar. Putting in $100? You’ll now have $200.